I have started keeping notes of new stuff I learn. Not the stuff I specifically research for work or just to satisfy my curiosity, but the new information that comes to me unbidden, the fact gems that are discovered randomly and without much effort.
Last weeks diamonds were:
- The origin of the name Kellogg is Killer of Hogs.
- It is perfectly possible for people to still be instantly familiar even after 30 years.
- Igneous rock (solidified magma) gets it’s name from the latin word ignis, meaning fire.
- Buying cheap wallpaper is a false economy.
- My new favourite Happy Place is a work meeting run by a room full of dogs.
Not only have I managed to get a blog post out of this new activity but I think it is setting my brain off in new directions. I am actively seeking things I can add to this list, instead of settling for the same old, same old.